Respondus LockDown Browser is only recommended for remote testing when paired with the Respondus Monitor virtual proctoring feature.
**Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor will not work for students with accommodations beyond adding extra test time (ex. Reading software, TextHelp, etc.). Accommodating software is not compatible with Respondus software. Students requiring accommodations will need to complete tests under the supervision of faculty or an invigilator via WebEx at a date/time identified by faculty. The AES Testing team is available to assist with these processes.
Fleming College has licensed Respondus Monitor for use in online exams. The system is integrated into our MyCourses (D2L) system, and uses Respondus Lockdown Browser.
- The LockDown browser controls the testing environment on the student’s computer. It prevents copying, printing, accessing other applications, or visiting other websites during an online exam.
- The Respondus Monitor system uses the student’s webcam to capture the student’s ID and to monitor the exam by recording the student as they complete the assessment. The video recordings are available for later viewing by the instructor. Video segments with potential exam procedure violations are flagged for the instructor to review.
If faculty are interested in using Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor, you will be required to notify your students to download the applications on their computers. Software download & installation is mandatory and only available for Windows, Mac or iPads. A webcam (internal or external) is also compulsory.
Please inform your students of these requirements.
Preparing a Quiz (Test/Exam) in MyCourses (D2L)
- Using a browser (preferably Chrome or Firefox) access MyCourses (D2L)
- Find your course and navigate to the “Assessment” dropdown, and to “Quizzes”.
- Click on the “Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor” tab.
- Click on the “Continue” button.
5. You may be prompted with a “Welcome” page. Click on the “Continue to LockDown Browser” a the end of the page.
6. If you have any quizzes created, a list will be displayed.
- Quizzes labeled with “Required” require students to use LockDown Browser.
- Quizzes labeled with “Not Required” don’t require LockDown Browser.
7. You may additionally require that LockDown Browser be used to view quiz feedback (grades and information about the individual quiz) and results.
You may optionally create a password that students must enter to start the quiz. LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor-provided password before proceeding with the quiz.
8. Respondus Monitor Webcam Settings will be displayed directly below the LockDown Advanced Settings. Please go to Using Respondus Monitor (webcam feature) below.
9. Select “Require Respondus Monitor for this exam” to require all students use a webcam during the exam.
10. Self enroll into Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor Course – use this course to test your settings before taking your exam!” using this link and registering into the “Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Course” as a student.
Faculty can request that the module in this course be added to their courses that are using LockDown Browser and Monitor with their tests and exams. Students can take the practice test and ensure their computer settings are correct.
Direct students to use the Help Center prior to their first exam. With LockDown Browser open, log into the course and select the Help Center button on the toolbar. From there, run the Webcam Check and the System & Network Check to make sure everything is working properly. If a problem is indicated, students can search for a solution in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to ITsupport at Fleming College.
Important: Leave the practice quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can check their setup from a different computer.
Respondus Student Guide
Please note that Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor requires a student to download software on their own personal computer. Please share the following Guide with your students.
- Windows: 10, 8, 7.
- Mac: OS X 10.10 or higher.
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone.
- A good internet connection.
- Administrative privileges on your computer.
Faculty: Reviewing Respondus Monitor webcam videos
If students were required to use the webcam feature (Respondus Monitor) with the quiz, instructors can access information about the quiz sessions and can review the recorded videos.
Note that Respondus Monitor is intended to be a deterrent, so it’s up to the instructor to determine the level of review warranted.
To review and request student videos:
- Return to the LockDown Browser Dashboard in the Brightspace course.
- From the context menu to the left of the quiz title, select “Class Results”.
- A roster of the students in the course is shown, along with the review priority, and the date, time, and duration of each quiz.
- Click [ + ] to expand the section for a student.
- Details of the startup sequence and the exam session are shown in thumbnails. Click a thumbnail to view the video from the time indicated. Videos can be marked as reviewed or have comments added by the instructor.
- To request a copy of the video, click the link for the download and complete the form. The information will be sent to the Operations Officer-Office of the Vice President Academic Experience, who will forward to your School Dean for review and approval.
- Once it is a approved, a follow-up notification goes to the requestor automatically.