Teaching and Learning Boot Camp Level 1
In this 2-hour, interactive session, you’ll learn some teaching tips for the first days and weeks of class. We’ll discuss how to:
- Set positive expectations for learning
- Promote engagement through classroom management
- Plan and deliver effective and engaging lessons
- Get started with D2L
Although this session is targeted to new faculty, all are welcome. No registration is required.
Sutherland: Thursday, January 2nd, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Room B2 101
Frost: Friday, January 3rd, 1:30 – 4:00 p.m. Room 104
Get It Together Sessions
New and returning faculty are invited to drop in to get your questions answered and meet colleagues who can help with D2L, teaching & learning, assessment, accessible learning materials, library services, etc. No registration is required.
Sutherland: Thursday, January 2nd, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. in the Learning Resource Centre (LRC)
Frost: Friday, January 3rd, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. in the Learning Commons
- Lesson Planning Example: Our completed lesson plan for the Boot Camp, as an example for you. Clicking will download the Word document.
- Lesson Planning Template: An empty lesson plan template for you to work with. Clicking will download the Word document.
- Lesson Planning Template – simple: A simplified version of our long-form lesson plan template. Clicking will download the Word document.
- Boot Camp PowerPoint: A copy of the PowerPoint we used for the Boot Camps, for reference.
- Things you may want to say in your 1st class: some suggested topics for day one.
- Classroom Assessment Techniques: some ideas you can try in your classroom.
- Faculty D2L Level One: A simple get-to-know D2L training course. Register yourself on the main D2L page in the Help & Information widget on the right-hand side.
Resources/Things We Want You to See:
- The Teaching Hub: The Teaching Hub is a place where we collect & share weekly stories, ideas, tips, guides & more about being a faculty member at Fleming College. It is not just a post on a web page, however. It is our community for Teaching & Learning in which we can all share & grow.
- Accessibility Centre Tip sheets for Creating Accessible Learning Materials