Out-of-Country Placements


All field practice locations must be approved by the student’s faculty supervisor or Program.

Co-ordinator. Significant factors that will determine the location of the field practice include the suitability and appropriateness of the setting, the quality of the student’s performance in previous semesters and the availability of College resources.

In special situations where students will receive a unique experience which cannot be duplicated within the province, exceptions can be made to allow for out-of-province, and out-of-country, field practice. Such exceptions will be negotiated on a case by case basis with the student’s Program Co-ordinator.

Where the student is charged with the responsibility of securing their own field practice experience and chooses, of their own volition, an out-of-town setting, any extra expenses incurred will be deemed to be their responsibility. In a placement situation that is out-of-province/country, the student is covered by a private accident insurance policy paid for by the Ministry of Colleges & Universities.

Additionally, with regard to out-of-country field placements, it is the responsibility of the student to contact the respective Embassy of the country where they plan to do their placement, to clarify the requirements for a Student Visa and/or other necessary travel documents for admission to the particular country. To obtain the telephone number of the relevant Embassy, please call Canadian Immigration @ 1-888-242-2100. Also, inquire as to required vaccinations to enter the country and allow enough time to obtain them.

Make sure you have adequate health insurance coverage by calling Blue Cross at 1-800-873-2583 to arrange for necessary coverage. If you are going to be out of Ontario for more than 6 months, you must inform Health Canada. If you do not inform them, you will have to establish residency in Ontario when you return. This will take 3 months and you will not be covered under OHIP during this time.

Cost Cutting Tip: Before leaving, you could apply for an International Student Identity Card. An ISIC will save you hundreds of dollars on travel, accommodation, outdoor recreation, entertainment, admissions to museums and cultural attractions, and a whole host of other valuable products and services across Canada and around the world. It is the one and only internationally recognized proof of full-time student status. Applications are available online at www.travelcuts.ca (click on Discount Cards) or from Fleming College’s International Education Office in Room 554, Brealey Drive.

Requirements to Conduct Field Placements in the United States

For students wishing to conduct field placements in the United States, students will need:

  • a valid driver’s licence
  • birth certificate
  • current passport
  • College letter verifying program registration and:

– Participating in an unpaid field placement experience

– Name of host facility and location

– Start and end date of placement

– Name of host training supervisor and contact # for verification

  • Evidence of financial support and control of, and access to, funds
  • Letter from host facility if student is being provided with accommodation, meals, etc., certified by the College

In addition, please be aware the following conditions must be strictly adhered to:

*You must qualify to receive a J-1 Visa*

To qualify for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa, you must prove that:

– You are sponsored by an organization approved by the Department of State (DOS), who is granted authority to issue a Form DS-2019 to prospective J-1 applicants;

– You have sufficient funds to cover all expenses, or funds must be provided by the sponsoring organization in the form of a scholarship or other stipend;

-You have sufficient scholastic preparation to participate in the designated program;

-You are sufficiently proficient in English to participate in the designated program;

-You have a permanent residence in your home country, which you do not intend to abandon; demonstrable ties to Canada;

– You intend to depart the U.S. upon completion of the course of study. You may establish this by presenting evidence of economic, social and/or family ties in your homeland sufficient to induce you to leave the U.S. upon completion of studies;

– Your proposed education in the U.S. would be useful in your homeland, and therefore induce you to leave the U.S. upon completion of studies.

To summarize:

In order to obtain a *J-1 Visa, the following criteria needs to be in place:

–      host location in the U.S. needs to be an Exchange Visitor Program “sponsor” (SEVIS);

–       as a “sponsor”, host locations will be in possession of Form DS-2019, after submitting a written request for a supply from the U.S. Department of State;

–        student requires a Form DS-2019 obtained from the “sponsor” to be eligible to apply for a

J-1 Visa.

*Approximate cost of applying for a J-1 Visa is $100

Students are advised to have a ‘plan B’ in mind for field placement in the event the above criteria is not met.

 The preceding identifies all known requirements that must be in place prior to being allowed to enter the U.S. to complete a field placement. However, please be aware that authorities with the U.S. Department of Immigration can refuse entry to any person who is not a citizen of the United States for other reasons. The College cannot be held responsible for such entry refusal.

United States Placement Requirements


Out-of-Country Letter of Agreement TEMPLATE