AODA: Integrated Standard – New Requirement as of January 2012
Fleming College is committed to the safety of all its members. The AODA legislation has established parameters for supporting persons with disabilities in emergency situations and producing workplace emergency response protocols.
Two requirements have come into law under the Integrated Standard of the AODA:
Information & Communications:
• Section #13: Emergency procedure, plans or public safety information
• “13. (1) In addition to its obligations under section 12, if an obligated organization prepares emergency procedures, plans or public safety information and makes the information available to the public, the obligated organization shall provide the information in an accessible format or with appropriate communication supports, as soon as practicable, upon request. O. Reg. 191/11, s. 13 (1).
• (2) Obligated organizations that prepare emergency procedures, plans or public safety information and make the information available to the public shall meet the requirements of this section by January 1, 2012. O. Reg. 191/11, s. 13 (2).”
• Section #27: Workplace emergency response information
• “27. (1) Every employer shall provide individualized workplace emergency response information to employees who have a disability, if the disability is such that the individualized information is necessary and the employer is aware of the need for accommodation due to the employee’s disability. O. Reg. 191/11, s. 27 (1).
• (2) If an employee who receives individualized workplace emergency response information requires assistance and with the employee’s consent, the employer shall provide the workplace emergency response information to the person designated by the employer to provide assistance to the employee. O. Reg. 191/11, s. 27 (2).
• (3) Employers shall provide the information required under this section as soon as practicable after the employer becomes aware of the need for accommodation due to the employee’s disability. O. Reg. 191/11, s. 27 (3).
• (4) Every employer shall review the individualized workplace emergency response information,
• (a) when the employee moves to a different location in the organization;
• (b) when the employee’s overall accommodations needs or plans are reviewed; and
• (c) when the employer reviews its general emergency response policies. O. Reg. 191/11, s. 27 (4).
• (5) Every employer shall meet the requirements of this section by January 1, 2012. O. Reg. 191/11, s. 27 (5)
We are required to ensure that all our emergency procedures, plans and safety information are in accessible formats and that all members of the Fleming community have the opportunity to develop an individualized emergency plan based on the needs of their disability.
The Human Resources Department and the Security Office are working together to provide the opportunity for any member of the Fleming community to request an individualized emergency plan.
If you are unable to participate in any area of the Emergency Response Procedures as a result of a disability, please contact Lynda Staples, Accessibility Facilitator (email@example.com) in the Human Resources department to make an appointment to develop an individualized emergency plan. You may also use the template below to develop a plan with your supervisor – please note that it is crucial for the plan to be sent to the Security Office once completed.