Age of consent for sexual activity: The age at which a person can legally consent to sexual activity. It is the initiator’s responsibility to know if the person they are engaging with sexually is a minor.
- In Canada, children under 12 can never legally consent to sexual acts.
- Twelve and 13 year-olds can consent to have sex with other youth who are less than 2 years older than themselves.
- Youth who are 14 and 15 years old may consent to sexual involvement that is mutual with a person who is less than 5 years older.
- Youths 16 and 17 years old may legally consent to sexual acts with someone who is not in a position of trust.
- No person under the age of 18 is able to consent to being in pornographic pictures or videos.