Fleming ITS support is available for students, faculty and staff at 1-866-353-6464 x4111 Option #3 or by emailing email@example.com.
The Learning Design & Support (LDS) Team has put together resources to support faculty and students in teaching and learning remotely on the LDS Team website. Contact the LDS Team for support: email LDSTeam@flemingcollege.ca.
I need to …
Contacting Service Desk and AV Support
TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS
|Hours: M-F from 7:30am to 5:00pm
Phone Number: 1-866-353-6464 x4111 Option #1
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgThe Service Desk and Multimedia team is available to assist with all computer and AV issues. Our team can assist Faculty and Students with:
|Operating System: Windows 10
Processor: Core i5 – 1.6Ghz minimum
Memory: 8GB minimum
Hard disk: 160GB minimum
|Operating System: MacOS 10.12 or newer
Processor: Core i5 6th Gen or better
Memory: 8GB minimum
Hard disk: 160GB minimum
Higher Education Pricing
|Faculty and Students wishing to test connecting to a WebEx meeting can click the below button.
|Internet Connection: 2.5 Mbps Download and 3.0Mbps Upload
Students are required to have their own Windows PC, Internet access, Webcam and Microphone.
Please note that Chromebooks are not compatible with our remote testing software, Respondus Lockdown Browser. Students should avoid purchasing these as their primary computer for their time at Fleming College.
• Review the Technology Guide for Students
I need to:
|Access my files (H: & S:)||Allows staff to access their home (h: drive) and shared (s: drive) from any browser.|
|Use MS Office||Access MS Office using a web browser or download the full version for free. Collaborate with Microsoft Teams.|
|Home Use Software||An inventory of software that can run on student and faculty personal computers for academic purposes.|
|VDI – Access staff computer image||Allows staff to access a virtual Fleming desktop from any computer with internet access.|
|WebEx||This service supports Virtual Classrooms, Hosting Meetings, Personal TeleConference and Instant Messaging.|
|Access my phone extension or chat||Use Webex as a soft-phone for your extension to make and receive calls. Access your voicemail.|
|Change my Fleming Password||Change your password from any web browser.|
|Install Lockdown Browser||Respondus LockDown Browser may be required for quizzes in D2L. Install it early by clicking here. (Chromebooks are not compatible with this software)|
|Cyber Security Tips||Cyber security tips for working from home.|
WebEx (available to staff & students)
Do NOT use a VDI session for Webex Meetings or Microsoft Teams Meetings. To ensure an optimal meeting experience install and use these types of application natively on your local PC.
Our WebEx product line can be used to support our staff and students in a number of ways:
- Join a test meeting – Use Cisco’s website to join a test meeting on your own to get familiar with the process.
- Virtual Classrooms – Use this page to learn how to use your WebEx personal room to host virtual classrooms.
- Host a meeting or join a meeting – Staff and students can use this link to learn how to host a WebEx meeting with other staff and students both within the college as well as people not part of Fleming College.
- Host a Personal Telephone Conference – Staff can use WebEx to host a telephone conference call using their Fleming WebEx account.
- Instant Messaging – Use this service for instant messaging, group chat, presence/status & sending files.
- What’s the difference between Webex vs Microsoft Teams (part of Office365)
VDI (available to staff only)
- VDI – Staff can use the VDI service to connect to a virtual Fleming desktop from anywhere they have internet. This service does not connect to your office desktop, but a virtual version of a generic staff desktop. This environment gives staff access to the full MS Office Suite, their H:\ (home) and S:\ (sdata, shared data) as well as well as Cisco Jabber.
My Files – MyWorkDrive (available to staff & students)
- MyWorkDrive – Access your H: (home) & S: (shared data) drive from your browser. Supports in-line file editing.
Microsoft Services (available to staff & students)
- MS Office (Office 365) – Staff & students can use this link to download a free copy of MS Office for use on their personal desktop/laptop. This service also offers web versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Stay connected with your team using Microsoft Teams. (Microsoft Teams vs Webex)
- MS Windows 10 – Students can use this link to download a copy of MS Windows 10. Students receive this for free, however staff pay $18.
Remote password change (available to staff & students)
- SSRPM – Staff and students can use this website to change their password from any computer with internet access. Staff are also able to reset a forgot password using this site.
Telephony (available to staff only)
- Phone Extension / Integration with Webex – use Webex as a soft-phone/VoIP application to make and receive calls from your Fleming extension.
- Voicemail – Staff can use this link to get more info on setting up, changing or listening to their voicemail.
- Forward Extension to external: Staff can forward their Fleming phone extension to an external phone number
Cybersecurity tips for working from home (staff and students)
If you have been issued a Fleming laptop, use this for all Fleming work. These computer have been pre-configured with the device security protections below. Similar to campus PCs, ITS can remotely assist with trouble-shooting these computers as needed. If you don’t have a Fleming issued laptop and need to work from a personal non-Fleming computer, follow these tips to ensure a secure work environment that protects College data and your Fleming account.
- Ensure antivirus software is in place and up to date.
- Check that all operating system and software updates are applied.
- Encrypt your hard drive.
- Use a password protected computer dedicated for your use only, not shared with other family members. If not possible, create separate password protected profile for each family member to ensure isolated user data and settings.
- Lock your computer when not in use.
- Never allow your web browser to save your Fleming password or when accessing any Fleming resources.
- Avoid downloading and saving any College data onto your personal computer. Use web applications where possible. Office365 can edit files that reside in the OneDrive cloud storage, no need to download/upload files locally.
- Use Fleming’s VDI service. VDI uses your local computer’s keyboard, mouse and monitor, but all applications & data reside on a secure Fleming virtual desktop, located at Fleming’s data centre.
- Do not print Fleming documents at home unless absolutely necessary; if you do print documents, ensure that they are properly managed by securing them in files to bring back to the college. Documents that are no longer needed can be shredded or stored and returned to the college for secure disposal once it is opened up again.
- Best Practices for a secure Webex Meetings
- More information on this topic.