Moving can be challenging and stressful at the best of times, and if you add in moving to a new province or country, it can be overwhelming. We have compiled links and resources to hopefully provide you with the direction and knowledge to ease some of the unknown when you arrive.
Documents to bring;
You must present the following essential documents to enter Canada:
• Canadian Immigrant Visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member traveling with you
• Valid passport or other travel document for each family member traveling with you
Two copies of a detailed list of all the personal or household items you are bringing with you
• Two copies of a list of items that are arriving later
• Proof that you have enough money to cover living expenses for six months. You may be asked to show proof of funds. If you are carrying more than C$10,000, you must tell a border official.
Depending on your situation, you should also bring the following important documents:
• Birth, baptismal and/or marriage certificates
• Adoption, separation or divorce papers (if applicable)
• School records, transcripts, diplomas and/or degrees
• Trade or professional certificates and licenses
• Letters of reference from former employers
• Résumé (list of your educational and professional qualifications and job experience)
• Immunization, vaccination, dental and other health records for each family member
• Driver’s license including an International Driver’s Permit
• Photocopies of all essential and important documents
• Car registration documents (if you are importing a motor vehicle into Canada)
Complete details available through Immigration Canada website.
Bringing pets into Canada
Other Important Links:
- How do I apply for a Health (OHIP) Card?
- Drivers Licence in Ontario
- Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN card)
- Elections Canada (register so you can vote)
- Canadian Firearms Centre if you have any firearm licenses.
- Human Rights in Ontario
- New Canadians Centre (Peterborough)
Resources & Documents
** External links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Fleming College of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation, organization or individual. Fleming College bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of any external site.