Please be advised that off-campus housing scams are a potential when searching for housing in any community. We would ask you to review the following information to ensure you are prepared to recognize fraudulent situations.
Local police remind residents to follow these tips before providing any personal information or funds online for a rental property:
- When searching for rentals, go to the address. Schedule a showing and confirm its availability.
- Request a lease/contract. Review it thoroughly.
- Complete open source searches on rental addresses to ensure it’s not a duplicate post.
- Do not send funds to strangers.
- Contact Equifax and TransUnion if you’ve provided sensitive information on applications.
- Go with your gut. If it seems fishy, it probably is.
If you would like to report a fraud or a scam, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre toll free at 1-888-495-8501.
If you have been the victim of a scam, meaning you have provided money or personal information to a fraudulent situation please contact your local police services.
Lindsay Police Service: non-emergency line 705-324-5252 or http://kawarthalakespolice.com/contact/online-crime-reporting/
Peterborough Police Service: non-emergency line at 705-876-1122 or http://www.peterboroughpolice.com/report/a-crime/