The School-College-Work Initiative (SCWI) was created as one of the Student Success initiatives in Ontario. It is a co-operative effort between school boards and colleges to assist students in making a seamless transition from secondary school to college or apprenticeship through the delivery of dual credit courses. For more information about SCWI and Dual Credits visit the website
The Eastern Lakeshore Regional Planning Team (ELRPT) co-ordinates this program for our region. The ELRPT partners consist of five school boards and three colleges:
- Durham Catholic District School Board
- Durham District School Board
- Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
- Peterborough Victoria Northumberland Clarington Catholic District School Board
- Trillium Lakelands District School Board
- Durham College
- Fleming College
- Loyalist College
Within the ELRPT, over 3,500 students participate in dual credits annually. Over 85% successfully achieve a college and secondary school credit.
Last year alone, over 13,600 students who successfully completed a dual credit in Ontario applied to go to college.
Who can take a dual credit?
Dual credits are designed to help secondary students complete their high school diplomas and make successful transitions to college and/or apprenticeship programs. The primary focus is on those students facing the biggest challenges in graduating. This includes:
- Students deemed to be at-risk of not graduating from secondary school but capable of completing college level work
- Students who are part of a Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program
- Students participating in the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)