Have you thought about your permanent accommodation options?
Here are few resources to help you in your search…
You are responsible for finding your own accommodation for the duration of your studies. You should begin your search for housing NOW!
Finding a hotel room – be sure to ask if they have a Fleming rate
Short-term stays: www.airbnb.ca
If you decide to fly to Canada, Fleming College has secured special rates with hotels to support you quarantine. Download a hotel list here.
Check also the Self-Isolation Checklist here
and also the Mandatory tasks before your arrival list here.
Off-Campus Housing Office
Fleming College Off-Campus Housing Office has great resources for finding accommodations in the community. Get started with their online resources: https://flemingcollege.ca/student-experience/off-campus-housing
For more information about On Campus Housing please visit the residence website, http://flemingcollege.ca/student-life/housing. To apply to live on campus, please email our residence office. Be sure to include in your email that you are an international student.
Private off-campus Residence
Severn Court Student Residence, Peterborough
Register at least 7 days before arrival. Contact Severn Court by email to reserve a room firstname.lastname@example.org. 4, 8 and 12 month lease options also available.
If you would like to live with a local family (may include meals, laundry and internet), try these providers:
Tips for a Successful Housing Search
- Don’t wait until you arrive in Canada to look for accommodations! Most landlords can be reached via email. Try to send a list of questions in one email, as multiple emails may lead the landlord to feel you will be a troublesome tenant. Allow the landlord a few days to respond.
- Find out if the location is near a bus stop:
- Lindsay (City of Kawartha Lakes): http://www.city.kawarthalakes.on.ca/residents/transportation/lindsay-transit
- Ask the landlord if utilities (electricity, water, and heat) are included in the rent. Heat may be electric, gas, or oil. If not, contact the Utility company to find out what the average charges are for this property:
Peterborough Utility Services http://www.peterboroughutilities.ca/Customer_Service.htm
Lindsay Utility Services http://advantagekawarthalakes.ca/en/locateexpand/utilities.asp
- You will have to pay a deposit often known as “last month’s rent”, so be prepared to pay 2 months rent when you sign the lease.
- Sharing rooms may violate local fire codes, so check with the landlord before you plan to share a bedroom