Co-op Work Permit

Many programs have a mandatory Co-Op, Placement or Field Placement work term that must be completed in order to graduate.   If you are registered in one of these programs you will need to have a special work permit known as the Co-Op Work Permit. For more information about the possibility of completing a work term as part of your program please contact your Program Coordinator.

Why do you need a Co-Op Work Permit?
The Co-Op Work Permit allows students to complete work experience as part of their program of study, it only covers program required work.  Students registered in programs that have required (need to complete to graduate) internship/placement/field placement/co-op are required to have a Co-Op Work Permit before they start their work placement.  The Co-Op Work Permit can only be used for work being done as a program requirement and cannot be used to secure part-time work.

How long does it take to process Co-Op Work Permit applications?
The waiting time for a Co-Op Work Permit is approx. 2-3 months, so it is recommended that you apply now in order to ensure that your Co-Op Work Permit is issue in time for you to start your placement. Current Processing Times:

What is a Co-Op Letter?
The Co-Op Letter is a document from the college that confirms that you are registered in a program that has a required work placement and need a Co-Op Work Permit. You will need to submit the Co-Op Letter as part of your application for a Co-Op Work Permit.  If you require a Co-Op Letter please complete this form:  It takes 7 – 10 business days for Co-Op Letters to be issued.

How much does it cost to apply for a Co-Op Work Permit and how do you apply?
There is no cost to apply for a Co-Op Work Permit but you will need to submit an application form and other documents electronically through the Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada website. 

How can I tell if I already have a Co-Op Work Permit?
The Co-Op Work Permit is a separate document from your Study Permit and clearly indicates that it’s a Co-Op Work Permit. If you’re not sure if you have a Co-Op Work Permit you can bring your passport and immigration documents to International Student Services to check.  If you already have a Co-Op Work Permit you can disregard this email.

Who can you contact if you have questions?
If you have any questions once you’ve reviewed the information on the IRCC website please come to our office during Drop-In Hours or send us an email.

Please note: Immigration Regulations are Legislated by the Federal Government of Canada and are subject to Change at any time without notice. Students are responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada. Fleming College staff are not authorized to provide advice or guidance on immigration-related matters. Applicants and students should consult the IRCC website at or contact the IRCC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to confirm or clarify immigration-related information and requirements.