Social Insurance Number

International students working in Canada must obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada.

Service Canada SIN Requirements:

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN:

  • “May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies”
  • “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request. If your study permit states “This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada”, and you have changed your program of study, you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.For information about applying for a SIN, including required documents, please visit: