Study Permit Extension

International students must maintain a valid Study Permit for the full duration of their studies, including placement/coop hours. International Student Services recommends you have 90 additional days from the end of your studies (the maximum allowable by IRCC), as it can take 3 to 6 weeks to receive a Program Completion Letter and Transcript from the Fleming Records Office in order to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This will also allow you to maintain a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) after school ends and help you transition to full-time employment if you apply for a PGWP (if eligible). Read more about extending a study permit here:

Check processing times (apply 60 days before expiry, or earlier):

Maintained Status (formerly Implied Status)

As long as you apply before your permit expires, you can continue studying while IRCC processes your application, because you have maintained status (as long as you stay in Canada).

Study Permit Application Guide:

You will need:

Proof of acceptance or enrollment: this could include either your offer letter (if the date of completion is correct), a Confirmation of Enrollment from your Student Centre (if your studies will be complete this current semester), or a Letter of Support from the Records Office (for all other situations). Email .

Please make sure to include the following information when requesting your support letter:



1) Complete name as shown on your passport and study permit

2) Student number

3) Birth Date

4) Program

5) Date your study permit expires

6) A copy of your Study Permit

Proof of funds available: you must prove that you will be able to pay for tuition and living costs, though all the funds do not have to be in your personal bank account at this time. This could include any of the following documents (scanned into one PDF):

  • your bank statements for the past four months
  • a bank draft in convertible currency
  • pay stubs
  • an employment letter
  • proof of assets or business
  • proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees (for current and/or future semesters; previous semesters not required)
  • tax reports, declarations or statements
  • proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • a letter from the person or institution providing you with money (such as your parents)
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada

For a one-year extension, you must show proof of two semesters of tuition plus $10,000 for living costs (or $833 per month).

How to Apply Online:

  1. Create a Government of Canada account: – log in and “Start an Application”
  2. Complete the Eligibility Questionnaire which will lead to an application centre and an application form (IMM5709) to complete
  3. Upload the Required Documents (see the Document Checklist here, more details below):
  4. Pay and submit

Watch our tutorials:

The following links are from the Study Permit Extension hands-on session and are easy to follow. They also explain how to get your co-op extension at the same time as your study permit extension.

1) Study Permit Extension – Part I: Completing the eligibility questionnaire and documentation

2) Study Permit Extension – Part II: Accessing my application

3) Study Permit Extension – Part III – Completing the Form IMM5709

Coop Work Permit

You can also apply for or extend an existing Co-Op Work Permit at the same time you apply for your study permit extension.  You may need a new Coop Letter to do this, learn more here: 


You may also need to update your medical. Find a doctor here:

Temporary Resident Visa

You can extend your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) after your Study Permit extension is approved. Repeat the same online process described above but choose the TRV application instead of the Study Permit option. You will need the same documents you used for the extension, plus a transcript. After applying online, you will receive a letter from IRCC stating the visa is approved. Print this letter and mail it with your passport to the Ottawa office, enclosing a self-addressed return envelope. We recommend you use Registered Mail when mailing a passport, as you will be able to track its delivery. Read more about applying for a TRV here: