Post Graduate Work Permit

Students who successfully complete a program of study at Fleming College may be able to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The PGWP may be issued for the length of studies (minimum of eight months up to a maximum of three years), and allows students to gain valuable Canadian work experience in any province and in any type of work. Two one-year programs are eligible for a two-year up to a three-year work permit.

Read about eligibility requirements here:


  • Apply within 180 days from the date of notification of completion. Your study permit must have been valid at some point during the 180 days;
  • Check your status: If your study permit is expiring before you apply and you intend to stay in Canada, you should change your status to ‘visitor’. Even if your study permit is valid for longer, you only have up to 90 days after the date of notification of completion to change your status;
  • If you leave Canada after graduation, use an application for a work permit made outside of Canada (IMM 1295). You will need a valid Temporary Resident Visa to re-enter Canada, not just the work permit.

Instruction Guide (applying within Canada):

Instruction Guide (applying outside Canada):

How to Apply

You will require a Program Completion Letter (page 2 of the Confirmation of Enrolment report available in your Student Centre about 4 weeks after all grades are submitted) and a Transcript (official or unofficial) before you can apply. On this date you are a graduate and must stop working off-campus 20 hours per week until you apply for the PGWP. If your study permit is valid when you apply and you have off-campus work conditions, you may start full-time work as soon as you have submitted your PGWP application.

  1. Create a Government of Canada account: – log in and select “Start an Application/Apply to Come to Canada/Work Permit”
  2. Complete the Eligibility Questionnaire which will lead to an application centre and form to complete
  3. Upload the Required Documents (see the Document Checklist here):
  4. Pay and submit

Application Tutorials

The following links are from the Post-graduation Work Permit hands-on session and are easy to follow.

1. Part I: Completing the eligibility questionnaire and documentation

2. PGWP – Part II – Document Checklist

3. PGWP – Part III – Completing the Form

Immigration Medicals: a medical examination with a panel physician may be required if you need a work permit to work in certain designated occupations such as hospital staff, laboratory workers, childcare, agricultural occupations, etc. Students are advised to refer to and follow the specific IRCC instructions for completing an immigration medical. Failure to do so may result in processing delays.

Working after you apply:

More questions? Contact

Please note: This page was prepared by a RISIA and was last updated February 29th, 2020. Immigration Regulations are legislated by the Federal Government of Canada and are subject to change at any time without notice. Students are responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada. Fleming College staff are not authorized to provide advice on immigration-related matters, unless they are Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIA) or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC). Applicants and students should consult the IRCC website at  or contact the IRCC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to clarify immigration-related questions.