Name Changes

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for various types of records based on personal information supplied by a student or outside agency. The College’s student information system requires a person’s first and last name, which when aligned with a student identification number is used by the system to identify a student.

While legal names are the standard requirement to be used in official academic records, students, both current and former, are able to change a Preferred first name recorded on their record. The College must balance its duty to protect the integrity of the academic and financial processes and records with the student’s best interests and Human Rights when using a name which may differ from their legal name, but is consistent with their identity.

  1. How do I change my Preferred Name
    1. Current Students
    2. Former Students
  2. I’ve submitted my Name change form/request, what happens next?
  3. Legal Name Changes
  4. Where will my preferred name be displayed?


  1. Log into your Student Centre. From there, there are two ways to get to the Name Change page;
    1.  Scroll down to the bottom of the main page to the Personal Information section and select Names
    2.  Use the Navigation bar and go to My Self Service > Campus Personal Information > Names
  2. On the names page you will see a list of your current names; Primary (legal name) and Preferred (if you already have one).
  3. If you do not already have a preferred name set up, there will be an “Add a new name” button, click it.
  4. You are now on the Add a Name page.
    1. Use the drop down menu to select Preferred in the Names Type field (it’s the only option).
    2. Then in the first name field (it should be blank) type in the name you wish to be known as. You must have a primary and or preferred name, this field cannot be left blank.
    3. If you do not want people to be able to continue emailing you at your previous email address once it’s been updated, then untick the tick box (found above the Prefix field).
    4. Hit Save.
  5. If you already have a preferred name in the system (it might even be the same as your primary name) you will see both names displayed on the Names page and you’ll be able to select the edit (pencil) button next to your preferred name to update it.
  6. You are now on the Update your Name page
    1. As the Name type is already set to Preferred you won’t be able to change that.
    2. In the first name field, type in the changes that you would like to make to your preferred name.
    3. If you do not want people to be able to continue emailing you at your previous email address once it’s been updated, then untick the tick box (found above the Prefix field)
    4. hit save
  7. Once you’ve completed your changes, if you return to your Student Centre, you will see your name at the top has been updated to your Preferred name.  If it has not updated, please refresh your page.


  1. Fill out the Name Change Request Form. You can do this without documentation and do not need to provide an explanation or justification as to the reason for the change.
  2. Sign the form to acknowledge that you understand and accept the terms and implications of the requested change
  3. You must have a primary and/or preferred name, you cannot change this field to be blank
  4. Bring completed form to the Office of the Registrar or you can email it to
  5. You will be asked to provide a piece of valid government issued photo identification to authenticate your identity (either in person or included in your email to the Records department).


If you made the changes through the self-service form in My Self Service, then you will receive an automated communication from IT support where they will let you know what you can expect to happen to your account over the next few days.

The first step will be to update your username and Fleming email address. During this process you may lose access to other Fleming College systems while account changes are being synchronized.  For example, once your username is changed you won’t be able to log into D2L until they’ve done their own update of your account. As various systems get updated, you will receive notification as each one is completed.  The whole process could take up to 5 business days to complete.

If you’ve requested a name change using the PDF form and emailed/submitted it to the Records department, then you will receive an email notification that you’re name has been update within 5 Business days.

Your legal name is used on official College documents and records, such as:

  • Confirmation of enrollment
  • Diplomas and Certificates Graduation letters
  • Reports to the government
  • Financial processes (OSAP, Tax receipts, bursaries, etc.)
  • Transcript

To change your legal name, you must have already changed your name with the government that issued your birth certificate (Provincial Government if you are from Canada) and have supporting documentation. Acceptable documentation must include a photo and can include Driver’s License, Age of Majority Card and/or passport. If you do not have any these documents, but you have others (change of name certificate, marriage certificate, divorce certificate) you will need to also have accompanying valid government photo identification to authenticate your identity.
The documents must be provided in person to the Registrar’s office along with original supporting documents or a copy must be included if you are emailing your request in.

This legal change will change your name in every area in which your name appears on College records.


Here is a list of the systems that your name will be updated in*:

  • MyCampus
  • Student Centre
  • D2L
  • Class Rosters and Grade Rosters
  • Campus One Card
  • Student log-in Username
  • Fleming Email address
  • StarRez
  • Park Admin
  • Bookit
  • Clockworks – Web portal

*This list only reflects areas that Students will see name changes.  For a complete list of all systems where preferred name can appear click here.

External institutions, including but not limited to OSAP, financial institutions, future employers, other post-secondary institutions, police record checks (required for some student placements), Revenue Canada (income tax receipts), licensing bodies, and student health insurance providers may not accept or recognize the new name. For this reason, only primary name will be used on official College records or legal documents such as transcripts, credentials or any process that is linked to a Social Insurance Number (finances).