The Payroll Team is responsible for the final processing output of the bi-weekly payroll in a timely and accurate manner within federal, provincial and college guidelines. We also provide many services for our employees such as mandatory, statutory and general payroll deductions, remittances, direct deposit, pay advices and Record of Employment reporting.  Payroll works closely with HR to verify they have accurately entered all new hires, rehires, transfers and that it flowing to payroll to produce an output.  Permanent Full time staff (Admin/Fac/Support) are paid automatically based on their hire letters and proposed salaries, Academic workload staffing specialists (AWSS) enter ‘pay’ contracts for all contract faculty based on instructor assignment for automatic payments.    Temporary and Part time staff (Admin/Fac/Support) are required to enter their hours on a paper timesheet or use our digital timesheet system.  Please refer to the links below in the payroll schedule for form submission deadlines. In order to get your payroll deposit to you on time every other Friday, we must operate under firm processing time lines. Late arriving documents will not be processed until the next regularly scheduled pay cycle.  2022 Payroll Schedule

Payroll Updates


Statutory Deductions:

Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) / Employment Insurance (EI)

For those that reached their maximum annual CPP and EI deductions in 2021, you will see these deductions from your pay start again on pay 1 – January 14.  We wanted to inform you of the new rates and maximum amounts.

Year Maximum CPP (YMPE 3) earnings CPP  contribution rate CPP 1 annual contributions Maximum EI earnings EI contribution rate EI 2 annual contributions
2021 $61,600 5.45% $3,166.45 $56,300 1.58% $889.54
2022 $64,900 5.70% $3,499.80 $60,300 1.58% $952.74


  1. CPP- Canadian Pension Plan deduction – All employees between 18 and 70 years of age must contribute unless an employee is over age 65 and has completed a CPT30 form to stop deductions – The rate and maximum earnings have both increased in 2022.
  2. EI – Employment Insurance deduction – All employees – The maximum earnings have increased in 2022.
  3. YMPE – Yearly Maximum Pensionable Earnings – The YMPE determines the maximum amount on which to base CPP contributions and when calculating pension (DB Prime) contributions each year.

Income Tax

TD1, Personal Tax Credits Return, is a form used to determine the amount of tax to be deducted from an individual’s employment income.  Individuals do not have to complete a new TD1 every year unless there is a change to their federal or provincial personal tax credit amounts.  The basic exemption for income tax has increased from $13,808 to $14,398.

Who should complete this form?  Individuals who:

  • have multiple employers
  • want to change amounts from previous claimed
  • want to record ‘exempt’ status if total income is less than total personal tax credits
  • want to record ‘NONexempt’ status if a Non-resident employee
  • want to increase the amount of tax deducted at source

If you are unsure how to complete the form, please seek financial advice.

Minimum Wage

The Provincial government increased minimum wage effective October 1 1, 2022 to $15.50 per hour.  This resulted in an adjustment to the student rate to reflect the new minimum wage.

T4 consent

The T4 consent status of all current and active employees who worked in the 2021 year has been changed to receive only digital T4 tax slips through My Self Service.  If you require a physical hardcopy T4 slip mailed to you, you will need to withdraw your consent.  Please follow the instructions on this link for withdrawal T4 consent to make the change, no later than February 5.  NOTE that when you withdraw your consent, your tax slips will still be digitally available through My Self Service to print at your convenience.  A hardcopy will be mailed to all non-active employees.

T2200 – Declaration of Conditions of Employment

The CRA posted information on a number of employment-related issues, including working from home expenses, form T2200, and employment benefits.

Home office expenses/T2200

The release of additional details on the T2200 and home office expenses will simplify the rules for you. The release included helpful tools, including a comprehensive calculator, guidance and forms, and a redesigned T777S form.

Here are the highlights:

  • You will be able to claim a home office expense deduction if you worked from home in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and in particular, more than 50 per cent of the time from home for a period of at least four consecutive weeks in 2021.
  • Under the flat rate method, you can claim $2 per day for each day worked at home up to a maximum of $500 (i.e. 250 days).
  • If you qualify, you can do a detailed calculation or you can use a temporary flat rate method. If you use the flat rate method, then no T2200 is needed. However, if you do a detailed calculation, you will have to obtain a T2200S (a shortened pandemic version) from Fleming.
  • The T2200S is a much shorter version where Fleming will only have to confirm you worked at home due to the pandemic, whether you were reimbursed for home office costs and whether those costs are reported on your T4.
  • If you are claiming more than the flat rate email by March 18, 2022.  This is not needed when you submit your taxes – it is for you to have on hand if audited.


Group insurance premium rates and rate changes that will be effective February 1, 2022 for all employee groups and retirees.  This information will be updated under Benefits Costing Sheets closer to the renewal date of February 1.

T4/T4A Forms

Employees have the option to access and print their T4/T4A slips through Evolve self-service as soon as they are made available by the Payroll department.  This option will permit you the flexibility to print off your slip at any time and slips will remain available as long as you remain an active employee. T4’s will be made available by February 28th yearly.

T4/T4A Slip Retrieval

In order to use this option however, we need your consent.  If you consented in past years, there is nothing for you to do; last year’s consent remains valid in subsequent years until you submit a withdrawal of consent form.   The exception to this is if you are on a leave; in this case, your tax slips will be mailed to you.  If you would like to review your current consent status, would like to consent or wish to withdraw consent, please see the document below for directions;

Withdraw T4 Consent

Employee Onboarding and other HR Forms:

The following forms (#1 & 2) must be completed for all new hires and for employees that have not worked over the past 12 months or within the current year;

1. Employee Personal Data Form

This form is to be completed for employees upon first hire and submitted to HR.  Once the form has been processed in HR, the manager will receive confirmation directly from IT Services for initial access or reactivation to college systems (network, email, staff portal etc) if applicable.  This form must be completed for all new hires even if an IT account and access is not required, then it will be forwarded to payroll for verification.

The employee must also provide banking information (void cheque, bank documentation). It must be completed and sent along with the TD1/TD1ON forms to HR prior to a new employee’s first payroll submission deadline as noted above in the Payroll Schedule.

2. Personal Tax Credits Return

The information on these forms is used by payroll to determine the amount of your tax deductions. If you have a change to your tax situation please complete and sign these forms and send to HR for processing.

3.  Change of Information Form

If you have a change to your personal information (eg. Address, Name, Bank Account) on record in payroll please complete this form and return to HR.

Banking Changes – Updated
Effective January 1, 2020, if you need to change your banking information you are required to complete and sign the Change of Information Form above and submit it along with your VOID cheque or Direct Deposit Form.  The information must show the employee as the account holder.

Address/Telephone/Emergency Contact Changes:  Changes can also be completed by the employee in Evolve through My Self-Service>Personal Information.

Name Changes: Complete the Change of Information and submit it along with a copy of your updated SIN from Service Canada showing the change in name. Names will not be changed without the Service Canada documentation.  Please be advised that changing your name does not automatically change your email address. Once your name has been changed by HR, you will be notified by email and it is then the responsibility of the employee to contact IT to request an email address change.

4. Parking Deductions Form

If you have a parking spot and elected to have payroll deductions you must complete and authorization form.  Th form is forwarded to HR for processing before being verified by payroll.

Payroll Processing Forms:

1.  Full Time Support Staff Payroll Forms
These forms are used for special payments for Full Time Support Staff. Refer to the Support Staff Collective Agreement for specific information or contact the HR office with any questions:

2.  Regular Part-time Support Staff Payroll Forms
These forms are used for special payments for Regular Part-Time Support Staff (“RPT”). Refer to the Part-Time Support Staff Collective Agreement for specific information or contact the HR office with any questions:  Forms must be received approved by the Monday after the end of the pay period.  (Tuesday if Monday is a holiday) unless noted below.

3.  Exception Report 

Exception reports are to be completed by automatically paid employees (FT & PT FAC) when the hours are changed or adjusted from their printed contract.
– Exception Report PT FAC – Forms must be received approved by the Monday after the end of the pay period.  (Tuesday if Monday is a holiday).
– Exception Report – Instructions

Return to Top


Parking – information about payroll deductions for parking is available from the Security & Parking website.

Coffee Fund/Lounge Services – is no longer available.

Employee Computer Purchase Plan – information about this plan is available through the Finance department. (Under Financial Forms & Guidelines – Employee Computer Purchase Program)

RRSP (Employer Group Plan)– (link to SunLife website)

Benefits/Pension – (link to the HR Benefits/Pension webpages)

Payroll Advice Slips

HOW TO VIEW / PRINT – Full-Time & Part Time/Contract employees: To view and print your self service Pay Advice Slip (paycheque/paycheck), log in to Evolve/Staff Portal and select My Self Service> Payroll and Compensation> View Paycheck. It can also be found on the Fleming dashboard under Staff Resources >More> Paycheque.  As a PDF, this allows you to easily save a copy and print it.   Pay Advice Slips are available to view 2 days prior to pay day.


Time Sheets

Timesheet forms are available online and must be emailed from your supervisor with approval.  Paper copies must be scanned to be accepted.

Record of Employment

Fleming College processes ROE’s electronically to Service Canada.  This will be completed within 5 business days of your last pay. You will not receive a copy from payroll as you do not need to submit copies to Service Canada. Employers, who submit through this electronic method, are no longer required to provide paper copies of ROEs. Contact for any questions regarding your ROE.

Once you have registered with the My Service Canada Account online service you may view and print a copy of your electronic ROEs on the same day we submit ROEs to Service Canada.

Link below is to Service Canada publications outlining how to apply for Employment Insurance Benefits and use the My Service Canada online service

The following situations will automatically trigger the completion of an ROE:

  • End of employment (FT)
  • Maternity leave
  • End of Faculty contract (as long as no future contracts within 30 days)
  • Illness (once informed by Benefits)

If you request an ROE for another situation, we will need the following information to complete the request correctly:

  • Full name
  • Empl ID
  • Last day of work
  • Reason for ROE

Please forward all requests to

Other information

Compensation (please refer to your specific employee group for more information)

Compensation Guidelines (December/January Holiday Break)