FAQs – Card Access


As part of the A Wing renovation project at the Sutherland Campus a new card access system has been installed to provide better security and access to students and employees. Here are the answers to some of the most Frequently Asked Questions about the system.

What hours will doors be unlocked?
– The system is programmed to lock and unlock doors as outlined below.
– Classrooms are scheduled to be unlocked during building hours (6am-7am Mon-Fri and 8am-8pm Sat-Sun)
– Office Suites are scheduled to be unlocked during core service hours (8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri).
– Labs are secured 24/7 and are only accessible with an access card that has been programmed with the appropriate permissions.

What doors will my card open?
– Cards are programmed based on the access required for your role.
– Access levels were assigned based on the feedback from department/school administrators.

Will my card grant access to the building when it is locked?
– Students and Employees are not permitted inside the building outside of the established building hours so cards will not unlock exterior doors.
– Some specific employees (Security, Maintenance, IT Services) do have access outside normal building hours to respond to emergencies.

What do I do if my card won’t open all the doors I need to access?
– Ask your manager or program coordinator to email security@flemingcollege.ca to request a change to your access card authorizations.

What do I do if my card doesn’t work at all?
– Check all the doors that your card should open to verify the issue.
– Bring it to the Information Booth and they will troubleshoot the problem.

What should I do if I lose my card?
– Please report your lost card to the Information Booth or Campus Security at extension 8000 as soon as you realize it is missing.
– The card can be cancelled to that it will not grant access. If you find it later it can be reinstated.
– There is a $10 card replacement fee to get a new card.

Will the card access system lock all doors during an emergency?
– Campus Security can change the status of any individual, group of doors or all doors to locked or unlocked through the system depending on the emergency and what is required.