While incidents of violence and crime on campus are rare, there is always the potential when you are on campus or in the city for something to happen. Campus Security, the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities and other on and off campus services are here to support you if and when you need it.
Please take a some time to review this important information:
- Report any suspicious person or activity to Campus Security immediately.
- In the parking lots you should always lock your car and remove all valuables or place them in the trunk.
- Familiarize yourself with the campus so you know the route you want to take to get where you are going.
- Make use of the safe-walk escort program when walking to parking lots, campus residences, or the bus stop.
- Avoid walking alone through isolated areas of the campus and use pathways that are well lit and frequented by others.
- Do not leave personal property or valuables unattended even for a minute. Leave them with someone you trust or make use of a locker.
- Document the make, model and serial number of expensive items like cell phones, tablets and laptops. In the event of a theft the police will want this information.
- Download and learn to use the Fleming Safe mobile app. It contains Emergency Procedures, contacts for Campus Security and for campus and community services.
In the City – Going Out
- Use a buddy system when going out and agree to watch out for each other for the entire night.
- Make a plan with your group including a time and place to meet in case you get separated.
- Only carry the identification, cash or bank card that you need and leave the rest at home.
- Your ability to make safe and responsible decisions can be seriously compromised by drugs and alcohol. Know your limit and consume responsibly.
- Do not accept alcoholic drinks from a stranger unless you saw it being made yourself so that you are certain of what you are drinking.
- Most sexual assaults involving College students happen during the first 8 weeks of school and the assailant is known to the student.
- Prior to getting intimate have a conversation with your date about consent, your expectations and limits and be respectful of the limits set by others.
- The Fleming Safe app has contact information for local police as well as on and off campus sexual assault support services.
- Be a good by-stander, if you notice a friend that is overly intoxicated or in an unsafe situation, offer help or get help if you feel unsafe intervening.
- Always carry emergency cab fare or make use of your bus pass and be familiar with the bus schedule and the location of the closest bus stop.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you suspect you are being followed, make your way to a well populated area or use your cell phone to call police.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy about a situation or person, remove yourself from the situation and seek help from a friend or employee of the establishment.
Regardless of any safety precautions taken, incidents can still happen. If you need assistance, support or just want to talk to someone please consider contacting one of these services:
Campus Security and The Information Booth: 8000 from a campus phone or 705-749-5530 ext.8000 from an outside phone.
Counselling Services: Sutherland, Haliburton and Cobourg campus at 705-749-5530 x1527, Frost campus 705-324-9144 ext. 3320.
Health Services: Sutherland campus, contact the campus nurse at 705-749-5557 and Frost campus, contact the campus nurse at 705-878-9304.
Residence Students – Contact any member of the Residence Life Staff
Employees – Contact the Employee & Family Assistance Program