Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) came into effect for Ontario community colleges on January 1, 1989. This legislation specifies how Fleming College must handle personal information as well as how to respond to information access and correction of information requests. Individual college departments are responsible for developing and implementing their own guidelines and procedures to ensure that they comply with the FIPPA legislation. All College employees have a responsibility to understand what personal information is, and when working with personal information to collect, use and disclose it only where necessary to perform their individual job duties. They all have the responsibility to control, store and maintain any personal information in a secure manner as to prevent unauthorized disclosure. The College FOI Coordinator will handle any formal requests for access to information and formal personal information correction requests.
At Fleming, the FOI Coordinator is Karen Nolk and can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at ext: 1692.
On this webpage you will find training materials, Tip Sheets and FAQs and resources regarding the legislation.
Fleming FOI Resources
- Freedom of Information Basic Training Tutorial
- Privacy at Fleming Brochure
- Fleming College Privacy Procedures
- Authorization for Release of Personal Information
- Reporting Privacy Breaches: Guidelines
- Privacy Breach Reporting Form
- Student Privacy FAQs for Faculty
- Managing Your Email – New
Other FOI Links
- How to make a Freedom of Information Request
- Provincial Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act
- “Access to Information Under Ontario’s Information and Privacy Acts” (brochure)
- Mini Guide to FIPPA (brochure)
- The Appeal Process
- Protecting Your Privacy on the Web
- Protecting Your Personal Information
- Protecting Personal Information on your Mobile Devices
- Privacy Protection and Your SIN
- Guidelines for Protecting Privacy & Confidentiality of Personal Information When Working Outside the Office
- Requesting your Personal Health Information